Eat More Healthily
If you have been struggling with your weight for some time or are simply ready to do something now then you can ask for support from the Specialist Weight Management Service at Livewell SW. This is a free NHS service run by specialist staff who will support you to manage a healthier weight. More importantly working with the team can help you significantly improve your health and wellbeing – see comments below from some of our patients:
‘’ I have to say that finally, I have had a dietary revelation after 40+ years of searching. Something actually resonates with me and I finally ‘get it’. !!!! I am referring to session four and the:
- Plate / clockface analogy
- The serving sizes using a hand
- The food diary showing the servings per day showing the coloured balls representing servings of each food group”
“I feel like I now understand what makes up a healthy balance diet in terms of serving sizes and number of servings per day!!!”
“I am finding the emotional eating, healthy eating, plate and serving guides really interesting and relevant. I really feel that I am being properly educated and informed. I look forward to putting what I learn into practice.”
“I’ve changed how i plan meals, what i eat and also have increased the amount of exercise i do. I have become more aware of if i am eating because i need food, or if it is because i am sad /angry / happy etc.”
“It has been a positive for me, as part of my learning I can watch it again and again. You have done a great job with the programme to enable us to continue on our journeys.”
What is the Weight Management Service?
- A specialised team consisting of nurses, physiotherapists, dietitians, clinical psychologists and consultants.
- A compassionate and non-judgemental approach.
- 12 week Core Program:
- How to be more active – Includes online activity sessions for all.
- Healthy eating – Food labels, portions, meal and shopping planning.
- Food and feelings – Understanding habits, getting to know triggers, mindful eating how to maintain changes.
- We will provide regular virtual sessions to support you with your progress and help you set goals.
- On completion of the core programme and following your review appointment, you will be offered further treatment programs based on your individual needs to help you manage your weight long-term.
If you are 18 years or over, live in Plymouth or West Devon and have a BMI 30+ then this service will be suitable for you. We are also the access route for NHS bariatric surgery (gastric bypass and gastric sleeve).
If you would like to be referred to the Weight Management Team you will need to discuss this with your Practice Nurse or GP. We hope to have a system for self-referral in place in the coming months. If you have any difficulty in being referred please contact us by email [email protected] or phone 01752 437177.
Three reasons to eat well
BMI is a measure that adults can use to see if they are a healthy weight for their height. For most adults, an ideal BMI is between 18 and 25. If your BMI is over 25, you weigh more than is ideal for your height.
You can also attend a free informative, two hour, Healthy Eating Workshop covering a range of subjects designed to motivate, energise and educate towards making small changes around healthier eating.
Eating healthily can cost less than you might think. There are plenty of healthy options available which will not just help you to live a healthier lifestyle but will also help your bank balance.
Three tools to help you eat well
NHS weight loss food diary
Download our free 12-week diet and exercise plan. The plan, which has been downloaded more than 4 million times, is designed to help you lose weight safely – and keep it off.
Featured Case Study
With summer here it is a great time to eat in season veggies!
Do you know what is in season now?
Seasonal veg is tasty, nutritious and sustainable.